Sunday, October 11, 2009

An Attempt at a Humorless Response with Fewer Errors and Claims: Enjoy

Although I’d like to mention Jameson again, I think I’ve written all I dare about his article. I will, instead, focus Barry since he simplifies much of the more important points Althusser makes in his concise article (I can’t help myself). The Barry piece is so helpful because of its direct approach to the vocabulary of Althusser and others. The most important word that I took from the reading was Althusser’s term ‘overdeterminism’. I have never been a big fan of Marxism, specifically because of the one-one ratio of determinism: I have no problem believing that economic ideology affects culture, laws, and art; but I do have a problem with the idea that it (economic ideology, to be very clear) affects all parts of life by itself.

The second term that I found especially compelling was ‘interpellation’. This concept is far removed from scary soldiers wearing red badges and oppressing the people; it rather denotes the more subtle state control: ‘state ideological apparatus’. I think that this makes for a far more acceptable target for the Marxist to raise their fist against because of the way the ‘apparatus’ makes unknowingly-willing victims of the people. I also find this be different from what the Leninist Marxists were concerned with regarding literature. Where the Leninists were concerned with the unknowing embedding of the author’s ideology in his work, Althusser’s more complex theory is concerned with the knowing author purposely embedding his ideas to be absorbed by the unknowing reader (or watcher in the modern age: Go McDonald’s with your urban campaign).

4 comments:

  1. I like your humorous responses with errors much better than this one, Tony. Anyway, though, I agree that the "state ideological apparatus" is far more threatening than overtly controlling the people. We criticize many nations for their overt control of their people, but I have to wonder to what extent we are controlled in this subtle (and more dangerous) manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether we unknowingly or purposely embed our ideologies in our writing, it is embedded, isn't it? It is a way in which we try to control our environment, our culture. Don't we do this in the classroom? Leaders, no matter where they are found, influence their followers so control can be established. I think I have to agree with E.J. because I also wonder to what extent we are controlled (just watch Wayne's World).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The state ideological apparatus reminds me of a section of "Naked Lunch" from last fall, in which the Doctor describes the country he is running and how insidiously he is able to control everything...sounds a lot like "state ideological apparatus."

    My repeated trouble with these Marxist readings is, does waking up to these controlling factors free us at all? Marxism seems to argue that it does not, that at best we can only choose a group with a more honorable ideology and be a part of that club and determined by their interests. I just can't get past the determinism they say has us coming and going. I'm trying...I can't do it.

    I think that awareness of the attempt by industry, government, etc. to exert control and influence is at least a measure of freedom. Perhaps the greatest measure we can achieve in a world where it is no longer possible to escape human society (which would be the price of any true freedom from these controls. Of course I'm sure our Marxist friends would insist that we were still being mind controlled because our subconscious thought patterns had been shaped by the economy...).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Barry is proving to be a lifesaver. That said, I can't help but wonder, if we can't free ourselves from the ‘state ideological apparatus' would that be a case in which ignorance might arguably be bliss? Or is the ‘state ideological apparatus' as all powerful as some theorists make it out to be? Perhaps not, perhaps we are able to pick and choose our responses to it once made aware of it and than work our own slow, bloodless revolutions. But that could be my pioneer-capitalist-false-sense-of-freedom speaking.

    ReplyDelete